The OSYC Lake Sinclair Challenge
2021 Results to date:
|20March2021||1:37:43||O’Day 222||Seth and Thomas Van Huss|
|21March2021||1:37:52||Catalina 22||Jimmy, Tim, and Jay|
2020 Results to date:
|20Sept2020||1:24:00||Beneteau 210||Jay and Jimmy Harrell, and Tim Vacula|
|20Sept2020||1:29:56||Beneteau 210||Ken and Jennifer Griffin|
|19Sept2020||1:37:30||S2 6.7||Tim Vacula and Randy Hall|
|19Sept2020||1:37:50||Beneteau 210||Ken and Jennifer Griffin|
|19Sept2020||1:38:04||Beneteau 210||Jay Harrell|
|19May2020||1:51:15||S2 6.7||Tim Vacula and Jimmy Harrell|
|02Feb2020||1:53:13||O’Day 26||Bill and Dave Morris|
|25Jan2020||2:03||S2 6.7||Tim Vacula and Jimmy Harrell|
|25Jan2020||2:16||O’ Day 26||Bill and Dave Morris|
The Lake Sinclair Challenge is a fixed-course, self-timed, long-distance challenge open to any sailing vessel on Lake Sinclair.
Click for details…
During the Dec 2005 drawdown, we took a pontoon boat ride out to survey the shallow spots of the lake. We confirmed that there is indeed enough depth and enough room to pass between Hauck’s Reef and the Narrows Island in our sailboats. So we decided to use Hauck’s Reef as the end-mark for the Sinclair Challenge.
Here’s how it works:
- Schedule: You pick the time and date. Any time day or night.
- Eligibility: Anything that is wind powered and legal on Lake Sinclair
- Rules: Racing Rules of Sailing. DNR requirements, etc, apply. Sailors assume all risks.
Best times to-date:
|29-MAR 2007||1:18:30||Hunter 260||Griffins|
|20-SEPT 2020||1:24:00||Beneteau 210||Harrells and Tim Vacula|
- Start between the No Wake buoy and the E dock at the club.
- Pass all islands on the river channel side.
- Pass between Hauck’s Reef and the Narrows Island in either direction. If multiple boats are racing, the boat leaving Hauck’s Reef to port shall have right of way. (Be careful)
- Finish at the club between the No Wake buoy and the E dock.
Course Length: approximately 9 miles, round trip.
Prizes: admiration of your fellow sailors, bragging rights, and a nice certificate.
Entry: Send an e-mail or letter to the scorekeeper (Jay.Harrell (at) riverside.net) with the following:
- Start Time – hh:mm:ss
- Finish Time – hh:mm:ss (or exact elapsed time, to the second please)
- Wind direction and wind speed (measured or estimated)
- Boat name and description -*Skipper and Crew Names
Results form Past Years
- 2017 winner – Nov 12, 2016: Jimmy Harrell and Tim Vacula,
Mac 26 – 1:38:30
- 2016 winner – June 18, 2016: Bill and Susan Morris,
O’Day 26 – 1:57
- 2015 Results
- 2014 Results
- 2013 Results
- 2012 Results
- 2011 Results
- 2010 Results
- 2008 Results
- 2007 Results
- 2006 Results
|05Jan2019||1:59:25||Hunter 260||Ken and Jennifer Griffin
and Bob Fry
|05Jan2019||2:05:28||MacGregor 26D||Jimmy Harrell
and Tim Vacula
|05Jan2019||2:59||Hunter 240||David and Chris Woodburn|
|12NOV2016||1:38:30||Mac 26D||Jimmy and Jay Harrell, Tim Vacula|
|27MAY2017||1:48||Windrider 17||Rebekah and Chris Woodburn|
|27MAY2017||1:48:20||O’Day 26||Bill and Dave Morris, Tim Aupperle|
|27MAY2017||2:09:30||Hunter 240||David and Max Woodburn|
|17OCT2017||2:07:30||O’Day 26||Bill, Susan, Martin and Minnie Morris|